I mentioned a little while back that I was going to carry on my Scout cosplay with extra goodies™. It may have been heavily implied (read: “I said”) that the goggles were next, but inspiration is no man’s mistress.
Well I may have
done started a thing:
Well, that was close. I was this close to being Jayne again. After working on it for two weeks straight, and all I had to show for it was this.
I wish to start dear reader, by reminding you that I am an idiot. I know this, you know this; but now we both know that we both know this. If what I’m about to talk about sounds like you think its beyond me, it is. But that kind of reasoning hasn’t stopped me before, so why should I let it get in the way now?
Violente et ignorantiae, is the family motto, after all.
I mentioned before that I’m wanting, and indeed trying (trying being the operative word) to make a cosplay of a space marine scout.
Well, the previous one was too much hard work to be honest, and I’ll definitely get onto it when I’ve had a bit more experience with this sort of thing. However –
So I think that Amazon and Google were taking the opportunity of my Birthday yesterday to target me a little more specifically with stuff that I’d definitely buy if I had the money. Well the joke’s on you, I don’t! Aha!
Wait…I do kinda want another of the First Order pistols (it’s as surprising as the Jolt), and the blaster rifle looks good I suppose
Anyway, there’s only one Nerf purchase this year, and that’s this bad boy:
Doesn’t look like a heavy bolter at all. Which is why I’m buying it, duh.
In other news, I have rigged up the PC in the front room, and downloaded Battlefleet Gothic Armada, the graphics card needs setting up properly and I need to wire the internet cause wireless is crap and buggy but still, it looks GAW-JUS! ERMAHGERD!
I want a RasberryPi Zero. I wants one.
When, oh when, will they be back in stock ANYWHERE?!
It feels somewhat like I’ve been here before
Ok, lets take a look at what I’ve achieved in the last year. Well, 9 months but whatever.
This year I aim to:
- Actually get a hold on the amount of 40k I have and feckin paint a load up
- Get back into the piano properly, and perchance play in public again
- MAN CAVE
- Gardening (Because I’m apparenly middle aged)
- Chill out a fecking bit
- Get on at work, or move on
Unsurprisingly, this was not all done.
- Actually get a hold on the amount of 40k I have and feckin paint a load up. This was dependant on the mancave being sorted, and that’s ongoing
- Get back into the piano properly, and perchance play in public again. I am playing more regularly, but what with my broken knuckles of the other year, it’s a hard slog
- MAN CAVE. Is up, and currently undergoing a fuckton of tidying
- Electronics. Yeah, dropped the ball on this one
- Gardening. Oh, I seem to have butterfingers…
- Chill out a fecking bit. There’s a theme developing here
- Get on at work, or move on. HAHAHAhaha…
- Hike. Nope
…So I shall carry on with last year’s plan.
It’s probably time I actually got on with an electronics project.
Upon visiting Lancaster’s HUGE antiques emporium (no, I’m not middle-aged Kib) with SWMBO and Mother, the former chanced upon something rather interesting.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you a 1940’s voltmeter:
Note the date of its last calibration is the 7th of March 1941, this voltmeter saw service in the war!
The box is hand-made and has dovetail joints at the corners.
It’s freakin gorgeous.
I don’t need a voltmeter that can measure 600V ac oddly enough, but what I do need is more CRAP.
It’s an easy one, mostly a cosmetic one really*. Well I’m easing myself in, let me off a little.
I’m gutting it (HERESY!) and making it into a portable media centre.
Option 1: Digital radio, port for MP3 player, plus either a battery compartment or plug for power
Option 2 (HARDMODE): as above plus; RasPi+bluetooth+wireless+HDMIo/p for full media centre goodness. Oh, and LEDs.
The bits that will stay
- More or less just the shell (“What about those lovely valves?” They’re going, sorry. If you want ’em, drop me a line)
- The connection terminals on top if I can, else that’s where stuff will be sprouting from.
- The ventilation grills, where the integrated speaker(s) will sit.
- The gorgeous calibration cert in the flap
The bits that will go
- The rest of it (duh)
- That gorgeous measuring needle, though if I can I’ll keep the window-to keep as much of the cosmetics the same as possible.
So yes, I’m essentially making a steampunk-esque media centre because reasons.
And in other news
Quatro is going the way of the dodo. So one could call this my redundancy project.
Just as soon as I thought I was beginning to wean myself of the plastic crack, GeeDubbs decides it’s doing Harlequins as an army…finally. There’s also a rumour that the Deathwatch will be getting the same treatment.
Just as well I’m not being made redundant or anything Oh.
I think that covers about everything that’s happened really
*Ok so reading the article back to myself this is not entirely true. But feck it, it’s mostly a “squeeze-everything-in-to-this-space-mod” and that’s not really something I’d call electronics per se.
As if to prove I’m incapable of original thought, here’s where I probably had the idea from…
Oh well, YOINK!